This is part 2 of a 2 part series, if you have not already please read Part 1.
Become a Venture Capitalist
If you’re interested in becoming a venture capitalist, you’re quite courageous. Knowing the above is not enough to start; there are some other things worth covering.
Experience is imperative to successful venture capital decisions. Without a reputation and experience, it will be hard to compete against other investors.
If you can answer yes to the following questions, you might be a great candidate for the venture capital world. Keep in mind this is presumptive, and should not determine your interest in VC.
- Do you possess an MBA? Most VCs do, and a very large part of them come from Ivy League schools
- Do you have a strong presence online? Social media will help you stay in touch and find new projects
- Do you have experience working with reputable companies in banking, media, technology, consulting, or medical industries?
- Do you regularly read technology news and VC blogs?
- Do you want to work with a partner? Can you agree on financial decisions with them?
- Do you have a track history of investment success?
- Do you have experience in specific technologies? Will people go to you for advice when learning about these technologies?
Some of these questions are more-so qualifiers than requirements for becoming a venture capitalist. Anyone can become one; the question is, should they?
Are you aware that most venture capitalists have underperformed the markets in equity for decades? High returns are rare and investments are not liquid.
Help Your Business Thrive
Now that you know what venture capital entails, you’re close to finding out if you’d like to continue your journey in this aspect of the business.
As long as you have the courage to persevere, the ability to comprehend complicated information, and the finances to back your investments, you will succeed.
If you’re interested in acquiring venture capital for your business or learn how to become a VC yourself, get in touch with me and I will happily accommodate your needs.